Before your next mountain biking adventure in Rotorua, be sure to download the new Whakarewarewa Forest Loop App then head to New Zealand’s newest Great Ride, the Whakarewarewa Forest Loop.
The free app, available for Apple and Android users, was developed by local software developer Matt Browning. It combines augmented reality, audio, video, and visual signage to tell the stories of our local iwi Ngāti Whakaue, Tūhourangi and Ngāti Wahiao in a unique way along the Loop.
Interesting facts about the trail, forest and surrounding area, are also shared on the app, and over time, additional iwi stories will be added.
The 33km trail traverses Tītokorangi Forest (also known as the Redwoods) and adjacent Whakarewarewa Forest. The app uses geo-located technology, meaning you’ll be able to access the relevant content as you reach specific points along the trail.
Although there is mobile phone coverage along the majority of the trail, the app’s content is downloaded upon install, so you don’t require connectivity while on the trail.
- Trail route guidance around the Whakarewarewa Forest Loop, including entrance points, toilets, food outlets, and potable water to refill your bottle
- Map with points of interest
- Download game tokens for visiting each site, collect the whole set
- GPS wayfinding for when you’re out of mobile phone range
- Language options for te reo and English
- Trail update notifications and status
- New stories and features to be added over time