Enabling Rotorua businesses to calculate market share
For all businesses, calculating market share is an essential business metric. For tourism and hospitality businesses, this is no different. Given the profile of the tourism industry with a large proportion of small operators, it can challenging to calculate. To help with this, we have created a simple tool to enable Rotorua businesses to calculate market share based on different data sources.
Visitation market share calculator
- This calculator is based on mobile phone data which calculates the number of domestic and international visitors at midday in the Rotorua district.
- To use the tool, select page 2. You then have the option to calculate market share based on daily, monthly or yearly values. In the selection box, you can select multiple time periods.
- Note that 'market share' is based on total visitation regardless of whether they visited an activity or attraction. Also, locals are not included in the data.
Spend market share calculator
- This calculator is based on point of sale transaction data from visiting cardholders, at merchants using Worldline (formerly Paymark) terminals.
- There are two calculators available to use; 1) based on transactions and spend and 2) based on international and domestic. For each of these, you have the ability to choose the relevant ‘experience’. Further instructions are included with the calculators.
- There are a number of other data summaries in the dashboard.
If you have any questions or feedback, please reach out to us at email@example.com
Visitation Market Share Calculator
Spend Market Share Calculator