Making Rotorua commercial accommodation data more accessible
We know that accommodation is a hugely important sector for Rotorua. Having a view of what accommodation is available in Rotorua is important for visitors, accommodation providers, event organisers and investors alike.
We've created this dashboard to present key information about the commercial accommodation sector in Rotorua. This includes the number of providers, number of rooms, the status of accommodation facilities, and a whole lot more. This information is available for everyone to use.
Where did this information come from?
We've worked with an external provider, AIC, to create a complete list of commercial accommodation in Rotorua. Information has been sourced through online booking sources (e.g., booking.com), industry feedback and other supplementary information (e.g., Ministry of Social Development grants). We've used a multi-layered methodology to assign operating statuses to providers. Criteria that was used included the ability for visitors to book online, a phone audit, MSD grant information, recent reviews, and industry intelligence.
Despite our due diligence, we are aware that we may not have got this 100% right so please let us know if this is the case. We’re only trying to get the most accurate view of accommodation in Rotorua so that visitors, event organisers and investors can make informed decisions.
Email us at email@example.com for any corrections or feedback. See bottom of the page for additional details and disclaimer.
How do I use it?
The dashboard is comprised of four separate pages. Each of the pages has both visuals and then filters down the left side. When you select a filter option, the visuals will automatically change. Clear all filters if you want to go back to the default view. Each page uses the same underlying information but is presented in slightly different ways. Here's a short summary of each page:
- Overview: An overview of the whole commercial accommodation stock in Rotorua. This gives you a view of how many rooms are in the city, whether available for the visitor economy or not. A table at the bottom of the page shows the properties that have been selected by the filter options.
- Map: A mapped visualisation of accommodation provider locations based on the filter selections. The size of the circles relates to the room count, and colour indicates the accommodation type.
- Operating Status: An overview of accommodation stock in Rotorua with a focus on the status of different providers.
- Room Calculator: A tool to calculate the number of rooms that are available in the city based on your input criteria.
Check out the video below for a basic demonstration on how to use the dashboard
Updating the information
The main source of this information was sourced towards the end of 2021 but we will endeavor to keep the information up to date. However, we realise that the accommodation sector is fluid and can change on a regular basis which means the information presented in this dashboard may not be fully accurate and up to date. If you would like to update us on any information that may not be correct, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we have made every attempt to ensure that the information contained in this Dashboard and Site has been obtained from reliable sources, using a robust methodology, Rotorua Economic Development (RED) and/or AIC are not responsible for any errors or omissions, or for the results obtained from the use of this information. All information in this Dashboard and Site is provided “as is”, with no guarantee of completeness, accuracy, timeliness, or of the results obtained from the use of this information. In no event will RED or AIC, or the employees thereof, be liable to you or anyone else for any decision made or action taken in reliance on the information in this Site or for any consequential, special or similar damages, even if advised of the possibility of such damages.
OTA Active – If the property was accepting bookings as of November 2021 on one of the main online travel agencies. This includes booking.com, Hotels.com and Expedia.
Combined status – To determine accommodation status, we have used a robust methodology taking into account the ability for visitors to book online, a phone audit, MSD grant information, recent reviews and industry intelligence.
- EH/Mixed EH = emergency housing. This includes facilities that are used solely for emergency housing, and those that are mixed use (both emergency housing and visitors).
- MIQ = managed isolation and quarantine facility. These are facilities contracted by MBIE to provide housing to border arrivals and accommodate MIQ-related staff.
- Operating = facilities that are available to be booked by visitors and do not house emergency housing guests.
Closed – facilities that are currently closed to the visitor economy and do not house guests.
Accommodation type – this is our best guess on the type of accommodation based on assigned categories through OTAs (online travel agencies) and our industry intelligence.
Star rating – hotel class ratings sourced through Tripadvisor, typically using Giata or Qualmark provided ratings.
Guest rating – a combined guest rating using review information from booking.com and Tripadvisor, standardised to a 5-point score.
Qualmark – facilities that have been Qualmark accredited.
Room count – number of visitor rooms in the facility, as sourced from Tripadvisor or direct from the facility.
Average room rates – the average advertised rates through online travel agencies over the 12 months to Feb 2022.